L’Arche Greater Vancouver is an intentional community where adults with developmental disabilities, along with those who come to assist them, share life together in family-like settings and work environments.
At L’Arche there is an understanding that every person is valued and has unique gifts to contribute to society. Meaningful friendships, mutual respect and helping each other discover our gifts and abilities are at the heart of our intentional community.
- Make known the gifts of people with developmental disabilities, revealed through mutually transforming relationships.
- Foster an environment in community that responds to changing needs of our members, whilst being faithful to core values of our founding story.
- Engage in our diverse cultures, working together a more human society.
L’Arche Greater Vancouver is a registered charity dedicated to creating homes and community inclusion programs in which people with and without developmental disabilities live, work and discover faith together.
Founded in 1974, we are an intentional community of approximately 120 people with and without disabilities. We have six homes and two community inclusion programs that support 40 individuals with developmental disabilities.
L’Arche is a unique model of support for people with developmental disabilities. At the heart of our identity is the shared commitment to recognize the value of each person and the belief that difference is celebrated.
- We are people with and without developmental disabilities, sharing life in communities belonging to an International Federation.
- Mutual relationships and trust in God are at the heart of our journey together.
- We celebrate the unique value of every person and recognize our need for one another.
L’Arche began in France in 1964 with the inspiration of Canadian humanitarian and social visionary Jean Vanier. His concern for people with developmental disabilities prompted him to invite two men from a local institution to live with him.
This simple act of welcome and compassion inspired a global movement that has changed the lives of thousands. Today, there are over 150 L’Arche communities in 38 countries around the world. L’Arche Greater Vancouver was founded in 1974 and is one of 29 communities across Canada.
Sign up for our newsletter
Sign up to receive our newsletter and We All Belong Campaign updates for the latest L'Arche news!